Thursday, January 05, 2006



And they say flossing is good for you...

On my last visit to the dentist, in a manner similar to a 2nd grade teacher explaining absolute truths like gravity, he said, "There are some people who can go their whole life not flossing their teeth and they are fine...You aren't one of those people." Imagine that.

I immediately took offense to his harsh evaluation of my oral hygiene. However as the white tonsil sucker was hissing and fighting with my tongue, and as he named and numbered each of my previous fillings; I realized this guy just might be right. I mean that plaque on the wall wasn't bad like the plaque on my teeth. That framed paper said he had proven himself worthy of a degree. Which means his opinion, most likely, is correct.

So I agreed with him. As I removed my tiny napkin, obviously designed for a smurf or something smaller than human, and received my party favor bag (feeling robbed because he didn't offer me a sucker); I promised to floss.

So I have been flossing. You can ask my wife. She should know because she's been following that rule her whole life. Well last night I was flossing my teeth when the string got caught between two teeth. As I attempted to saw it back and forth to remove it, there was a pop followed by a small UOO (Unidentified Oral Object) bouncing around and landing on my tongue. After the initial shock and wondering I discovered it was a loose filling! Yeah I know WOW!

I told Sam and she began to sway side to side holding onto the bathroom counter asking me to stop talking about it or she would faint. Right then I thought, "Hah. He told me to floss and I did and look what it got me; a hole in my tooth."

So maybe flossing isn't that great for you. Or maybe I just didn't floss consistently my whole life and that's why I had the filling in the first place. I'm calling him today to set up another appointment. I just hope I can keep myself from telling him he caused this to happen. Of course he will retort in a smarty-pants, stern-medical-sounding-tone of voice, "This wouldn't have happened if you would have flossed all along." I hate it when people are right.

No comments: